Pages

2015-03-24

Rolling in Adventure League


One of the most common comments I get when I do Character Creation is: 
Are you guys not playing the the Adventures League?  You're rolling for stats. The Adventures League only supports Point Buy or Standard Array.
Which is 100% accurate--and I do not disagree.

The characters we are randomly creating in my character creation videos will need to be modified to be Adventure League legal, and all D&D Encounters characters must be Adventure League legal.



When the AL was first announced with the Epics, Expeditions, and Encounters legs I was totally excited--organizing the Organized  Play structure around the way in which public play actually happens seemed like a totally brilliant idea. New players could start at weekly Encounters, move to "convention-style" play in Expeditions, and occasionally kick off new rules in Epic style games. 

Simple. Elegant. Awesome.





The Expeditions players needed to ensure that all of the characters used in Organized Play were balanced and thus they had to create character creation guides. 




AL Character Creation guides are regularly revised to ensure things stay balaned with Expeditions. These guides then had to be used in Encounters. Thus no rolling dice for character creation in Encounters.

An unforeseen consequence of the Adventure League structure, but completely acceptable to ensure that the Expeditions games are 'fair'.



I would guess that Epics will largely be exempt from the Adventure League guides since the vision for Epics seems to be one off adventures. I assume that these will ideally include new rules, pregen characters, and the like--things we have always seen included with Event Driven games, but only time will tell.


So back to the original question, I am playing D&D Encounters, which is a part of the Adventure League. I will clean up my character using the Point Buy system now that I have a 'working sketch' of what I think Waynemeth the Male Svirfneblin Sage's stats should be...

No comments:

Post a Comment